ANZAC Day Activities and Timings
Tuesday 25th April 2017
The President and members of the Braidwood RSL Sub-Branch cordially invite the Braidwood community to join with them in commemorating ANZAC Day 2017. The day consists of a Dawn Service and later a march followed by a commemorative service at the War Memorial and in Ryrie Park. This year, as part of the centenary of WWI, we are commemorating all those who went to WWI from the Braidwood District.
The Dawn Service commences at 6.00 am at the memorial flag pole in Ryrie Park. John Barilaro, MP, Member for Monaro and Tim Overall, Administrator of Queanbeyan Palerang Shire will attend the Dawn Service. This will be followed by a Gunfire Breakfast at the Service’s Club from 6.45 am (gold coin donation to go to Legacy).
Local ceremonies will be held in Majors Creek at 8.00 am and Araluen at 9.00am.
The Braidwood parade will assemble outside D & S Motors at 10:30 am in preparation for the march off at 10:45. Captain Geoff Palmer, RAA, a member of our sub branch will be the parade commander.
Commodore Terry Roach, AM will lead the Braidwood Group.
The parade order will be:
· Light Horse Contingent
· Kapyong Company, RMC
· Braidwood Group, comprising RSL sub-branch, ex-service and serving members;
· Descendants of ex-servicemen wishing to commemorate their relatives;
· Drummers from ADFA
· Braidwood ANZAC Commemoration contingent.
· Braidwood Fire Brigades
· Braidwood Central School
· St Bede’s School
· Trinity College
· Braidwood Scouts and Cubs
Would those attending please muster in the order listed above.
Sequence of events at Ryrie Park:
The President of the RSL sub branch will lay a wreath on the memorial and call for others to do the same.
· Last Post, minutes silence, Rouse
· Parade moves to Ryrie park, rotunda
· The service is outlined in the Program to be distributed on the day.
· The ANZAC Day address this year will be given by Captain Letitia Van Stralen, CSC, RAN, Chief of Staff to the Chief of Navy.
· The Braidwood Cantors and the Jembaicumbene and District Band will help us to keep in tune with hymns and music.
The service will be followed by drinks and lunch at the Services Club starting at 12.30
All RSL sub-branch members, their partners, ex-service and serving personnel in Braidwood area are welcome to attend the lunch. Additional family members wishing to attend the lunch are welcome, on payment of $18 to the Services Club. Early notification of additional attendances would be appreciated. The lunch venue in the hall is limited to 150 people.
Following the book launch a game of “two-up” will commence, proceeds of which will go to support Legacy.
For any questions regarding the day, please contact the RSL sub branch Secretary, Chris Nelson on 0407 966 037 or President, Ted Younger on 0412 003 250.